Cairns Who's Who
Distinguished and Famous people from Cairns
Cairns, a tropical city in Northern Queensland, has produced many distinguished and famous people who have made significant contributions in various fields. Here are some of them:
1. Patrick Johnson - An Olympic sprinter, Johnson was born in Cairns in 1972. He won a bronze medal in the 4x100m relay at the 2000 Sydney Olympics and became the first Australian to break the 10-second barrier in the 100m race.
2. Noel Pearson - A lawyer, academic, and activist, Pearson was born in Cairns in 1965. He is well-known for his work advocating for the rights of indigenous Australians and promoting economic development in remote communities.
3. Gia Carides - an actress of Greek descent, was born in Cairns in 1964. She has appeared in many films and TV shows, including Strictly Ballroom, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, and Big Little Lies.
4. Michael Klim - A former Olympic swimmer, Klim was born in Gdynia, Poland, but grew up in Cairns. He won two gold medals at the 2000 Sydney Olympics and held world records in the 100m and 200m butterfly events.
5. Kristina Keneally - A politician and former Premier of New South Wales, Keneally was born in Las Vegas but grew up in Cairns. She made history as the first woman to lead a major party in New South Wales and has been a member of the Australian Senate since 2018.
6. Dr. Lowitja O'Donoghue - A nurse, activist and former Australian of the Year, O'Donoghue was born in the desert of South Australia but spent much of her childhood in Cairns. She has dedicated her life to improving the health and welfare of Aboriginal Australians and was instrumental in the establishment of the Aboriginal Medical Services Alliance of the Northern Territory.
7. Warren Entsch - A politician and member of the Australian House of Representatives, Entsch was born in Mackay, but spent much of his youth in Cairns. He has been a vocal advocate for the rights of the LGBTIQ+ community and has worked to promote tourism and economic development in his region.
8. Dianne Cilento - An actress and author, Cilento was born in Brisbane but spent much of her youth in Cairns. She appeared in many films and TV shows throughout her career, including Tom Jones and The Wicker Man, and was nominated for an Academy Award for her role in the latter.
These are just a few of the many distinguished and famous people who have called Cairns their home. Each of them has made significant contributions in their respective fields and has helped to put their city and region on the map.